Decision Day
Both Magazines and Movies are very expressive and tell a story, though each in very different ways. With a movie there is multiple ways to tell a story, not just with the script. Body language, tone, facial expressions, location, lighting, music, and digital effects are all ways you can get a point across in film. You can do many of these effects in Magazines as well, but the main way to tell the story in the magazine format is through words and photographs. It has been proven that reading can be more attention grabbing, “the brain behaves differently during a story as well. According to Annie Murphy Paul, when the brain processes sensory words, not only do the vocabulary areas of the brain activate, but the sensory areas of the cortex do as well (2012)”,(Cherry, “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom”). I somewhat disagree, I believe that movies can tell a story more effectively, it is harder to get distracted when there is so much going on visually, unlike a magazine which is on still paper. The future is gearing towards technology and magazines simply do not comply. Attention spans are getting shorter and shorter and more and more people may not have the patience to read something if it doesn’t intrigue them immediately.
In my experience, both InDesign and Premier Pro where difficult to use. Both had a hard time loaded and I didn’t get to really experience the platforms thoroughly. Although I did see various tutorials, and both had very interesting effects. One thing that I was shocked premier pro was able to do was mask and blur the clips, it added a slight but significant difference that adds great cinematic depth. In design also has various special effects I was impressed by such as the EPUB’s the electronic publications where very detailed and articulate.
Magazines are coming towards a slow but sure downfall, unless they change the way magazines have been made previously. “As you can tell, I don't think this problem stems from the fact that the literary audience can't buy a couple of subscriptions so much as the question of why they don't”, (Franklin, “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines”). Magazines and publishers have always had trouble finding ways to pay for costs and find subscribers, “Literary magazines need to simply accept the fact that writers are poor subscribers and find other ways to gain their distribution: through online sources, library subscription services, and in some cases contests that give the entering writer a subscription.”, (Franklin). In my opinion movies are the new way of telling stories and are more expressive than magazines in many ways. Although Premier Pro can be a difficult software to use, I would like to learn more about its abilities and limitations. I am excited to do the movie for my project and explore my creative side.
Comments
Post a Comment